Saturday, July 30, 2011

Apple Cream Pudding

I tasted this pudding at an SCA event where they were having a cookoff. I had been looking for an apple pudding for a while and had never been satisfied with what I'd found. The original recipe appears in Pleyn Delit, and I made tiny changes to make it more Redwall-friendly.


‎1/4 c corn flour or corn starch
1/4 c chopped raw nuts
2 c milk, cream, buttermilk, or nut milk
3 apples, cored and finely diced
1/4 c honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of salt
pinch of nutmeg

Mix the corn flour, nuts, milk, apples, and honey in saucepan and bring slowly to low boil. Boil, stirring for 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Can be served warm or chilled.


Corn flour is a more finely milled version of corn meal. It's not the same as corn starch, though I believe in England, corn starch is called corn flour. Either one can be used in this recipe. I wouldn't using suggest corn meal because it is too coarse and strongly-flavored for a pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment